First United Methodist Church is located in the heart of downtown Gastonia, North Carolina. We are a part of the Western North Carolina Conference of the United Methodist Church and are the largest United Methodist Church in the Gastonia District. First United Methodist Church, Gastonia can trace its roots to Shiloh Methodist Church founded in 1870. The Main Street Methodist Church was established in 1900 on our current site. We became The First Methodist Church in 1956 and The First United Methodist Church in 1968.
Regardless of the name, our church has always been dedicated to providing a place of worship, fellowship, and outreach to the people of our congregation and our community. We have always been a caring church that is mission minded and shares the love of Christ with our neighbors, both in our community and throughout the world.